The CCW class is a mixture of both classroom discussion and practical application.
Students will lean:
- Safety rules
- Common mistakes people make
- Handgun types and functions, strengths and weaknesses
- Fundamentals of shooting
- Drawing and recovering to the holster
- Shooting on the move & target-focused shooting
- California Law as it relates to possession, transport, and carriage
- Places where firearms are prohibited
- Traveling with handguns
- Responsibilities when armed
- Methods for de-escalating confrontations
Estimated length of course: Variable
- Over the age of 18
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- No felony convictions
- You must have written approval from the Sheriff’s office to receive a CCW and take this course.
You will need to bring:
- Government issued ID
- Firearm (if previously a CCW holder)
- CCW permit (if current carrier)
Certified BSIS instructor for Baton, Firearms, Guard Card as well as CPR, First Aid and AED which is certified by American Heart Association. Mr. Tew is a former Instructor at the National Training Foundation, LLC (NTF) instructing under the late Ralph H. Scully. You can be assured he will certify students in the proper use and carry of the baton, as well as all security related subjects. He is presently Lead Instructor for the Security Academy Program offered by Grossmont College and San Diego Regional Occupational Program (ROP) and a member of the Advisory Board for Grossmont College’s ROP Program.
Michael has a distinguished fifteen-year career with the Chula Vista Police Department where his exceptional performance as a Peace Officer won him recognition and numerous awards. Those awards included the Outstanding Officer of the Year Award in 1991; Life Saving Award in 1996 and the Auto Theft and Recovery Award in 1997 for repeated success in solving auto theft crimes. Mike also runs MT Security and Investigations and is a licensed private investigator.